Wednesday 13 December 2017

My First Christmas Window Painting

Christmas 2017 was my first ever attempt at window painting. I painted the windows and doors of the shop that I work at. I'd obviously never done it before so I had a bit of trial and error to do, youtube tutorials and the staff at The Art & Hobby Shop in Athlone were very helpful. Here's how and what I used to do it..

Materials:


  • White Gouache Tempera Paint
  • Blue Reeves Acrylic Paint
  • Yellow Reeves Acrylic Paint
  • Red Reeves Acrylic Paint
  • Light Green Reeves Acrylic Paint
  • World Of Colour Window Paint
I bought these materials in The Art & Hobby Shop specifically for the shop window. I brought along my own brushes in a variety of sizes as well as a dry-erase window marker and the usually painting equipment.

The World Of Colour Window Paint's didn't work out well for me, I wasn't used to them at all so I barely used them. The white gouache tempera paint worked really really well. It dries quite quickly and gets a good coverage in the first layer. I found the Acrylic to be more vibrant but takes a little longer to dry than the gouache tempera paint I used. However, both worked really well.

Research:

So I obviously turned to YouTube & Pinterest before starting into this project (like I usually do) and I made a Board full of ideas and inspo. I drew my own versions of Christmas Drawings and scenes on Procreate App on my iPad Pro. I then photographed the windows and door that I'd be painting on and photo shopped my illustrations into them. This gave me an idea of composition and an easy form of reference. 




Process & Finished Piece:

Firstly I scrubbed the surface clean using hot soapy water. I went outside and using my dry-erase window marker I did a rough sketch of the figures until I was happy with the placement of them. I then went inside to paint the scenes. Once I finished painting I went back outside with a cloth and wiped away the marker and the painted scene looked perfectly done.

I decided to go for a festive lamp post with a small baby penguin holding a present looking at the tree on one window. On the other I had two reindeer looking up at a decoration on a tree branch with a snowman to the side. I painted Santa on the door waving at customers coming into the shop. The photographs were taken that evening when I had completed them so lighting was not my friend! 




This was how I approached the task, I'm sure there are better/easier ways to mastering window painting but this worked for me and I LOVED doing it!






Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig